My first genealogy Institute experience #SLIG2018

I'm getting ready to fly to Salt Lake City, Utah to attend SLIG on Thursday.  SLIG stands for the Salt Lake Institute of Genealogy.  To say I'm excited is the understatement of the year!  When I tell people that I'm going to Salt Lake City and that I've never been they recommend places to visit and sights to see.  That all sounds lovely but I'm much more interested in going to the Family History Library and being at SLIG.  If I never see outside that will be just fine with me!

I'll be around MY people!  Genealogists.  This is my tribe.  These are my kindred spirits.  My fellow genealogy nerds.  We can talk about census records, probate and deeds offices, odd causes of death (first time I saw the cause of death as a 'carbuncle' I thought it was some kind of car accident) and all the other stuff my non-genealogy loving friends and family get a glazed look in their eyes when such topics are mentioned, usually by me (like I have to even say that out loud...).  But WE get it and we become more and more excited as we share our experiences.  "Yes, I would LOVE to hear about your 4x great grandfather's 1812 Pension file!!  You found WHAT on eBay that belonged to your family from 1857?  Would you like to hear about my great-grandfather I affectionately call The Scoundrel?" The replies are YES PLEASE!  #mypeople

We understand each other.  We get excited about the same things.  We celebrate when a brick wall is broken down whether it's ours or theirs.  We all wish we had a time machine to figure out who the heck so and so's parents are or the maiden name of a female ancestor or to save the 1890 census from that fire!  UGHHHHH  So. Many. Things. #mypeople

But I digress....

I will be taking a week-long course on DNA.  The preparation for this course was fun in and of itself!  I've learned things just studying for the pre-requisites and I haven't even gotten there yet.  I will be rooming with Jen, one of my Boston University classmates.  She is also taking the DNA course.  We will have a BLAST.  I'm also glad we are in the same class.  That will make studying easier on both of us. I will also get to meet some of my current ProGen colleagues and former BU classmates in person.   #mypeople

I will be blogging about my experience as a first timer to SLIG, an institute and to Salt Lake City.  Follow my journey!

Is it Thursday yet?

#SLIGExperience
#firstieSLIG
#keeperofthepastgenealogy
#newbie

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular Posts