Genealogical Institue on Federal Records (Gen-Fed) 2026

National Archives, Washington, DC. Photo by BWMucia, Sept 2026

 

Six Years, One Scholarship, and an Unforgettable Week at Gen-Fed

After six years of trying, I finally got into Gen-Fed!

The Genealogical Institute on Federal Records—better known as Gen-Fed—was held in Washington, D.C., from August 30 through September 5, 2026. My path there began the year before, when I submitted an article about my Gettysburg soldier, Samuel Beal Shea, of the 19th Maine, for the American Society of Genealogists Scholar Award. I received the scholarship in 2025, which earned me a place in the 2026 institute. I'm so grateful to them for that scholarship! 

That alone was exciting, but the week became even better when my friend Kim Bucklaw also got into Gen-Fed. Since Kim lives in Bluffton too, the travel plans practically made themselves. We decided to drive to Washington a few days early so we could do some sightseeing before the institute began.

Thursday, August 27: On the Road

We headed out at 5:30 in the morning and set out on the eight-hour drive to Washington. Traffic was light, and we made good time. We arrived around 4:00 p.m. and checked into the Hilton at L’Enfant Plaza, near the National Mall. That evening, we walked to an Italian restaurant at the Wharf for dinner. After the early start and long drive, neither of us needed convincing that it was time for an early night.

Friday, August 28: The Pentagon, Pensions, and the Wharf

We began Friday with a 10:00 a.m. tour of the Pentagon. I had toured it once before, but that was in the early 1990s, when I spent a lot of time in DC. It had certainly been a minute since I had ridden the Metro, but it came back quickly—just like riding a bike. 

The tour lasted a little less than an hour and took us through several parts of the building. We visited the 9/11 memorial area, where our guide showed us where the impact occurred. I vaguely remember walking down a hallway displaying the chiefs of the armed forces during my earlier tour, and I thought we had gone into the courtyard, too. Then again, it was more than thirty years ago, so I could be mistaken!

Pentagon Visitor Center. Photo by KBucklaw


Afterward, we went to the National Archives, where we met up with Kristina Gow Clever. Brian Rhinehart was also there pulling military pension files. Kim and I each requested some pensions, and I reviewed a couple. I saved one for Monday, when I would have my computer with me and could give it more careful attention.

Later, I left the Archives and walked through the Hirshhorn Museum before returning to the hotel for a little rest after all that walking. That evening, a few of us had dinner at the Pink Tiger at the Wharf. The food was good, although it was definitely expensive.

Saturday and Sunday, August 29–30: Museums, History, and Orientation

On Saturday, we visited the National Museum of African American History and Culture (NMAAHC). It was unbelievable—the most moving, heartbreaking, and inspiring museum I have ever visited. Some exhibits stopped me in my tracks and brought me to tears.

Seeing personal items that belonged to Harriet Tubman was amazing. 

Harriet Tubman's shawl at NMAAHC. Photo by BWMucia

The Emmett Till memorial room was especially difficult. The museum displays the original casket he was buried in. After his body was exhumed decades later as part of a renewed investigation, he was reburied in a new casket. Standing there and confronting the reality of what happened to that child was overwhelming. Like the Holocaust Memorial Museum, this is a place that will remain with me for a very long time. I know I will go back.

On a much lighter note, we had lunch at the museum’s Sweet Home Café at NMAAHC. Oh. My. Goodness. I had shrimp and grits followed by bread pudding, and both were delicious!

Later that afternoon, I met a couple of others at the National Museum of American History. That museum is always fun. A highlight was the display of gowns worn by the First Ladies on Inauguration Night. 

On Sunday, I had the day to myself. I went to Ford’s Theatre first, which I loved. I do not know exactly why Civil War history fascinates me so much, but it does. After all, I won that scholarship on an article about a Civil War soldier at Gettysburg! From there, I visited the National Gallery of Art and the National Portrait Gallery, where I saw portraits of many presidents and notable Americans.

Ford's Theatre balcony box of President Lincoln. Photo by BWMucia

Sunday evening brought us to the official Gen-Fed orientation. We met the other attendees, talked with one another, and learned what to expect during the week—where we needed to be, when we needed to be there, and how everything would work. It was also the beginning of one of the most rewarding parts of Gen-Fed: getting to know the other genealogists attending the institute. After waiting six years for this opportunity, I was beyond ready to begin.

Monday, August 31: The First Day of School

Monday morning felt like the first day of school. In many ways, it was!

By the end of that first day, I could already tell how much information we would receive. The resources at the National Archives are incredible, and learning directly from the archivists who work with these records made the experience especially valuable.

Trevor Plante gave us an overview of resources held throughout the National Archives system. We learned that “A1” refers to the National Archives Building in Washington, D.C., while “A2” refers to the facility in College Park, Maryland. John Deeben, another archivist at A1, introduced us to basic military records at NARA. Rebecca Whitman Koford then walked us through military pension records from the Revolutionary War through the Civil War.

I could immediately apply much of what we learned to my own research project. I requested a stack of records and began working my way through them.

That evening, we got a private tour of the Library of Congress. Talk about being blown away! The building, the collections, and the history were absolutely amazing. Our tour guide, AJ, was simply the best! 

Library of Congress. Photo by BWMucia

Tuesday, September 1: Websites, Land, and Twentieth-Century Wars

Day two brought another full schedule. Rose Buchanan taught us how to navigate the National Archives website and shared tips for finding materials that are not always easy to locate.

Angela Packer McGhie led two sessions: one on mining land records and another on bounty land records. The bounty land session was particularly interesting because military service could lead to a land warrant, especially following the Revolutionary War and the War of 1812. Veterans did not always settle the land themselves; some sold or assigned their warrants to someone else.

My ancestor Nicholas Shea did exactly that. I had seen information about his transaction on the Bureau of Land Management website, but it no longer appears there. Now I need to go back and investigate it more carefully using what I learned in class. But I didn't have time for that this week. I was focused on my research project.

The final class of the day was Rebecca’s session on World War I and World War II records. It was fabulous. She introduced us to many useful records held at College Park, which we would visit on Thursday. Kelley Connor Lear had also told me about A2’s strong map collection, and I hoped it might contain something fun!

Wednesday, September 2: Legislative Records and Unexpected Possibilities

Rick Sayre’s class, “Blasting Brick Walls with Legislative Records,” was mind-blowing. I had no idea how much genealogical information legislative records might contain, particularly in the private acts passed by Congress. His lecture opened an entirely new research avenue for me. I would love to find an especially interesting private act and build a future project around the surviving records. Rick gave us a wealth of information, and the volume of material provided for further study was astounding.

LaBrenda Garrett-Nelson gave us a solid grounding in immigration and naturalization law. She discussed the laws and time periods that shaped the immigration and naturalization process, including records created during the colonial era. One detail that caught my attention was that, before the Revolutionary War, someone seeking land might have needed to establish that he lived in the colonies. I had never thought about those proceedings as a possible source of immigration evidence.

LaBrenda also taught a helpful class on researching African American ancestors.

Between sessions, I continued reviewing the materials I had requested. I saw so many amazing records. It was a little overwhelming, but in the best possible way. Each new discovery seemed to lead to another record group or another question.

Thursday, September 3: College Park and a Major Discovery

On Thursday, we traveled to Archives II in College Park, Maryland. I already knew the facility held films from 1968 relating to the Battle of Hue City during TET in Vietnam, and I was determined to see them.

The day began with a panel of A2 experts. Henry Brooks discussed records of federal civilian agencies. Stephanie Haight spoke about United States Marine Corps and Navy records, and another staff member covered Army records.

Rick then lectured on A2’s cartographic holdings. The session was fascinating, and I soon had an opportunity to put what I learned into practice. In the map room, I found a great map. The staff scanned it and gave me a JPEG copy. How often do you get to leave an archive with a newly discovered map? It was very cool. There were also some early New England maps that I would have loved to peruse more! So many maps, so little time. 

Another lecture on American Indian records was offered, which I really wanted to attend, but I had to choose. Instead, I went to the Moving Image and Sound Branch to see the Hue City footage, my father's battle. I located six videos and had copies put on my flash drive. The films are AMAZING!!! I sent them to my father's friend, Charlie McMahon, also in Hotel 2/5, to see whether he recognized anyone in the footage. 

We returned downtown on the 2:45 bus, and I got back into A1 to examine more records I had requested for my research project, and they were exactly what I needed! Jackpot! I found the evidence I had been hoping for. 

There is nothing quite like seeing the original record that answers your question. We spend so much time searching catalogs, databases, and indexes that it is easy to forget the thrill of sitting in an archive with a fragile document and realizing that it contains the evidence you need.


Records held at Archives 1, NARA. Photo by BWMucia

Friday, September 4: Behind the Scenes and Beyond the Obvious

Suddenly, it was the last day of Gen-Fed.

Rebecca opened the day’s lectures with “A Tour of the Obscure in Federal Records.” It was a wonderful introduction to lesser-known sources that genealogists might easily overlook. The session encouraged us to think beyond the record groups we use most often and to consider documents created by many different parts of the federal government.

In the afternoon, Judy G. Russell gave us two presentations. The first focused on federal court case files. She broke down the federal court system and explained how different pieces of legislation created and changed the circuit courts over time. The maps and legislative timelines were especially helpful in making sense of a complicated system.

Her second lecture explored the stories hidden in federal records. One example involved the Amistad, the ship at the center of the famous 1841 Supreme Court case involving kidnapped and enslaved Africans. It was fascinating and a perfect illustration of how federal records can move us beyond names and dates to the experiences of real people.

More Than Worth the Wait

Gen-Fed was the best institute I have ever attended. The week was intense, exciting, occasionally overwhelming, and filled with the kind of information that makes you want to begin ten new research projects at once.

The experience was not only about classes and records. The social side of Gen-Fed was important, too. Spending the week with other genealogists gave us time to exchange ideas, talk about our work, learn from one another, and build professional connections. I enjoyed reconnecting with people I already knew and making new friends among the attendees. Those conversations—during breaks, over meals, on the metro, and while working at the Archives—were an important part of the week and made the experience even more memorable. Our class was fantastic, full of excellent genealogists. 

I came home with photographs of fragile documents, footage from the Battle of Hue City, new evidence I needed for my research project, and pages upon pages of notes about federal records I had never considered using. Just as importantly, I came home with new friendships, stronger professional connections, a better understanding of how the National Archives is organized, and a renewed appreciation for how much we can discover when we look beyond familiar databases and standard genealogical sources.

I can't thank Rebecca Whitman Koford and her team enough for building such an amazing institute of higher learning in the genealogy field. Thank you! 

After six years of trying to attend, Gen-Fed was absolutely worth the wait. The scholarship that began with Samuel Beal Shea’s story brought me to Washington, where I found new ways to tell many more stories. I cannot think of a better ending—or beginning—than that.



Comments

Popular Posts