The Houses that Built Me

I’ve decided to do two blogs on two houses.  

One is the house that shaped my childhood.   The house I grew up in.  My mother grew up in that same house.  My great-grandfather built that house.  I lived there until I was 22.  My mother lived there most of her life until 1995.  I’ve been researching tax records and interviewing my mom and family about that house.  I can close my eyes and see every inch of that house, even now.  I drive down that street just to look at this small house in Rhode Island (whenever I visit RI) and it’s still embedded in me.  I get a happy feeling when I see that house.   I had a happy childhood in that house.  So many good memories there.  I was surrounded by love and family in that house.  I grew up with my grandparents in the same house, I can still hear their voices.  It’s only recently that I realized how SMALL that house is!  That blog is in progress.

The second house I’m researching:  I read about some country that keeps a binder with houses and it has all the information on the house from the beginning and the binder stays with the house through all the occupants.  I’ve decided to do a binder on the house I live in now.  We are the third owners of this house.  I’m going to catalog every family, every renovation or remodel, the colors the walls were painted or wallpapered and photos from the beginning.  I'll put together a binder to leave with the house when we eventually move (no plans currently - I LOVE my house).  I’ve reached out to the previous two owners who I became friends with after we bought this house and asked them for photos and stories on this house.  I’m particularly interested in the first people who bought the lot and built this house.  Why did they pick this lot?  This layout?  The options?  How about our amazing screened in porch (which is 750 sq ft btw)?   Inquiring minds want to know!  Can you imagine buying a house and there's a binder with all the backstory on the house?  Why they built it, who lived there, what colors they painted it, when did they renovate or upgrade the house and why?  This is historical GOLD!  You’re welcome future families…..

I guess it's the historian/genealogist in me!  Would you want a binder on your house?  Would you do one for the house you live it?  

Comments

Popular Posts