Day 8 - Overload and Understanding

It’s Day 4 of my DNA class and Day 8 here in Salt Lake City.  It’s been SO great. This DNA course has taught me so much.  We’ve heard two talks from Dr. Michael Lacopo (that’s funny to say really fast, by the way).  One on a Y-DNA - I SO want my husband to get the Big Y DNA test now since he has a unique last name.  (It’s Mucia - pronounced myoo-SEE-uh.  No one messes up Wade, for the record.  LOL).  The other talk was on mitochondrial DNA (mtDNA).  He is very interesting to listen to and his cases were fascinating!  Paul Woodbury gave a very entertaining talk about endogamy where he broke out in song and we had an interactive lesson with colored balloons which afterward he offered to make us balloon hats.  See, DNA is fun!

We’ve been learning to work with a DNA program called Genome Mate Pro.  As I’ve mentioned in a previous blog, it’s pretty awesome.  The capabilities of its functions are going to make a HUGE difference in my own personal genealogy research.  The learning curve was a bit of a challenge but our instructor, Karen Stanbary, warned us that we would get frustrated but then we would be ok and that’s exactly what happened.   Last night I was on complete overload.  So. Much. Information.  It was like drinking water from a firehose.  But I pushed through it and sure enough, today came understanding.  I’ve been working with the program and mapping chromosomes.  Slowly but surely I will find The Scoundrel’s father!  Thank you, Karen, for being patient with us when we were completely frustrated.

I went to the Family History Library last night for a talk on Pre-1850s Research by Julie Stoddard that was fantastic.  She was engaging and full of great information. I currently live in Beaufort County, South Carolina which was a burned county and no vital records, land records or probate records exist prior to 1864.  This gives me some other avenues to explore for clients that need some research prior to that time period.  I’m looking forward to applying some of these resources!

I can’t believe tomorrow is the last day.   It’s gone by so fast and I’ve learned so much.  I’ve met some wonderful people, made new friends and networked with others who share a common goal.  Connections and kinships.  I’m thrilled to be part of a wonderful community of genealogists with a passion for history and historical preservation. 

This SLIG newbie was impressed with the quality of the information presented and the community surrounding this Institute.  I loved Salt Lake City and enjoyed my first time here.  It may have been the first time, but it won’t be the last!  #SLIGExperience


Comments

Popular Posts